What I'll be doing in 2013.

I feel like 2013 will be the year everything changes for me. It has to be, right? This last year has been stressful, full of little disappointments, but also some modest accomplishments. There's been tragedies, confusion, and too many bills. Looking forward is the only thing that will change all that.

I've been writing novels for over 2 years now, with several books completed and one actively being queried. A second book will be ready for the same by the end of February. I've sent out dozens of query letters, received many rejections and two full requests (one of which was just the other day, and I have yet to hear back on it). I keep getting told that if I keep at it, and don't give up, I'll make it, if only by default. I'd like to believe that.

So here's what 2013 has in store for me:

First off, I committed to my writing group that I would complete 2 books this year. As I mentioned, one is already set to be done by the end of February, and the second is almost a third of the way written so far. I may even be able to exceed my goal by a whole novel by the end of the year.

Secondly--and I know I have little control over this--I aim to sign a contract with an agent, hopefully even be on submissions to publishers this year. If I keep at it and don't give up, I think this is extremely possible.

Third, this coming year will mark a new level of commitment and time management for me. Earlier in 2012 I made the decision to work part time and quit school, instead focusing on writing as my Plan A. 2013 will be the first full year where I implement that plan. Wish me luck.

Fourth, watch the heck out of a ton of awesome movies coming out this summer.

What do you look forward to in 2013?

2 comments:

  1. Two books! That's fantastic! What a great goal. And good luck with querying. Man, it's tough, but a necessity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:43 PM

    We've got some similar goals, and I think it's a great idea to actually write out those goals (like you did) for the coming year. Querying is a scary ride, but you just have keep your head up. I've got a manuscript out and I'm praying one of the agents likes the full.

    ReplyDelete